Why Support HumanWorks Affiliates, Inc.?
- Contributions from individuals, companies, and foundations enable HWA to better serve the people in our programs to ensure they receive the best care and support for their individualized needs. A wide variety of giving opportunities are available. Gifts of all sizes are gratefully accepted and each one is individually acknowledged.
How can you support HWA?
- Donation: Cash or check is the type of giving that first comes to mind for most donors.
- Will/Bequest: This is the easiest and most often used method of deferred giving. You can either add a provision in your existing will by writing a codicil or you can include HumanWorks Affiliates, Inc. in your will as you draw it up. Consult with your attorney for specific bequest language.
- Charitable Trusts: A charitable trust is a method of giving HWA substantial property while retaining rights to the income during your lifetime. A charitable trust will provide:
- An income for you and/or your beneficiaries selected by you for life or a period of up to 20 years,
- An immediate and substantial income tax charitable deduction,
- Avoidance of capital gains taxes if the trust is funded with long-term appreciated property,
- A substantial reduction of probate costs and estate taxes.
- Stocks and Bonds: A gift of securities that have appreciated in value can result in benefits for the donor as well as become a valuable gift for HWA.
- Life Insurance: By purchasing a life insurance policy and designating HWA as the irrevocable owner and beneficiary, a donor’s annual premium is considered a charitable contribution and the policy may create a gift much larger than a donor might otherwise be able to contribute. As another option, a donor may choose to donate a paid-up life insurance policy to HWA. Nearly the full cash value of the policy will be tax-deductible.
- Real Estate: A gift of real property such as a residence or farm can become a significant contribution for HWA and allow you to avoid substantial capital gain and estate taxes.
- Tribute/Memorial Gifts: A donor can honor a friend or relative for a special occasion by making a commemorative gift to HWA. Or, a donor can remember a deceased loved one by making a memorial gift to HWA. Notification of this gift (without mention of gift amount) is sent to the honored relative or friend or to the family of the deceased.
- Matching Gifts: Many corporations have established a program of matching contributions made by their employees to charitable organizations. For more information, please check with your personnel office or call the HWA development office.
- Endowment Gifts: Gifts made to the Endowment Fund will be used for the long-term support of programs offered by HWA. The principal gift will not be used, but rather the investment earnings generated by the gift will be distributed for programs and services. A portion of the earnings will be reinvested with the principal to ensure fund growth to keep up with inflation. A strong endowment fund will help smooth out the rocky road of funding and ensure that as many people as possible will be served by HWA.
What is HWA all about?
- HumanWorks Affiliates, Inc. is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization with six affiliate corporations: ChildFirst Services, Inc., LifeKnow, Inc., ChildPromise, Inc., Phoenix Services, Inc., Spectrum Community Services, Inc., FunWorks, Inc., and Spectrum Social Services, Inc.
- Phoenix Services, Inc. and Spectrum Community Services, Inc. serve the needs of adults with intellectual disabilities through the Pennsylvania Office of Developmental Programming.
- Spectrum Social Services, Inc. serves adults with intellectual disabilities and/or mental illness referred through Carbon-Monroe-Pike Mental Health and Developmental Services.
- ChildFirst Services, Inc. serves children referred by Pennsylvania County Offices of Children and Youth Services.
- LifeKnow, Inc. offers training programs to corporations and nonprofit agencies throughout Pennsylvania.
- FunWorks, Inc. provides recreational activities for individuals.
Where are the facilities located?
- The executive office, HumanWorks Affiliates, Inc. is located in Allentown, PA.
- Spectrum Community Services, Inc. is located in 4 offices: Jim Thorpe, PA, Philadelphia, PA, Williamsport, PA, and Wyomissing, PA
- ChildFirst Services, Inc. is located in 2 offices: Philadelphia, PA and Wyomissing, PA
- Spectrum Social Services, Inc. is located in Jim Thorpe, PA
- Phoenix Services, Inc., Project A.B.L.E., and HWA Gifts, Inc. are located in Lebanon, PA.